...children naturally learn and given a safe, nurturing environment laden with opportunity and positive role models, all people naturally grow to their highest potential.
The VISION Home and Community Program promotes meaningful choice and diverse opportunity
within public education by supporting the development of the optimal learning environment for
each learner and optimal teaching environment for each teacher.
- We believe that children naturally learn and that given a safe, nurturing environment laden with
opportunity and positive role models, all people naturally grow to their highest potential.
- Each person is unique and must be encouraged in his or her individual search for fulfillment.
- Each person is also part of a community and must be encouraged in his or her search for
common purpose and ways to serve.
We believe that we will be served well by taking to heart the following principles:
- Support and trust each young person.
- Support and trust each parent.
- Approach and honor all others with love and respect.
- Never sacrifice the well-being of a child for the future of the program.v
- Program accountability is built on the integrity of individuals and relationships.
- Leadership that facilitates; membership that participates.
- Promote open and inclusive conversation. Strive for consensus.v
- Do not hurry; the quality of the process is the goal.
- Maintain humor, humility and flexibility.
- Never give up on anybody; keep the door open.
- Do not do for others what they can do for themselves.
- The deepest learning often comes within the context of relationship.
- Facilitate informed, careful and unpressured choice. True commitment and a sense of
responsibility usually follow.
- Examine carefully what we model, for that is what we teach.
- When mistakes are realized, be open, and accept responsibility immediately.
- Worthwhile policies permeate every level of an organization.
- Meaningful future lives flow from meaningful present lives.
- Inspired teachers are learning; inspired learners are teaching.
- Listen well and do not respond until you find compassion and respect.
- Question everything, especially when the children's eyes cease to shine.